Basilico Italian restaurant comprises the courtyard of a charming Indo-Portuguese house. The menu offers a generous selection of delectable wood fire oven made pizzas and homemade pasta dishes. While you wait for your main course to be served, we recommend nibbling on some bruschettas, they're delicious! You can also order your pizzas to go.
- Situated on a quiet street leading off the main road, Basilico is a culinary find. The restaurant is set in the courtyard of a charming Indo-Portuguese house. When you enter and walk through the garden’s wooden doors, you immediately smell the appetizing aroma of pizzas being cooked in the wood fire oven. From the porch of the house, you can see the chefs at work and further behind, you will find yourself in the main garden where dinner is served. Surrounded by trees, Basilico offers an intimate ambiance and sense of seclusion.
In keeping with the direction of the restaurant, the owners have adopted the Trattoria feature of dining. Dinner promises a comfortable, relaxed and romantic atmosphere with easy-listening music under starry skies and in candlelight. If you are looking for a real taste of Italy in Goa, Basilico is a place where you can enjoy great food.
click to enlarge or download image
- Basilico serves up fresh and authentic Italian food, which has a taste of home cooked delights. So much has this restaurant been recognized for the quality of the ingredients and its dishes that it has acquired a wide and varied clientele who return regularly. The salads are fresh and delicious, and the pasta, ravioli, gnocchi and pastries are all home made. Try the pizzas, which are traditionally Italian, with a thin crust and made only by wood fire oven. Choose from a variety of toppings, or the waiters are also happy to customize your pizza, by request. For those with a sweet tooth, there is a list of tempting desserts to choose from; such as tiramisu, mousse au chocolat, torta di ricotta and crème brulée.
- The food is well thought out in its combination of flavours and the presentation is visually appealing. The house specialties are the Bruschetta, Antipasti, Lasagna and their homemade limoncello.
- The owners of Basilico are Susanna and Selwyn. Having left her job as a French teacher, Italian native Susanna came to live in Goa twenty years ago; where she met her husband, a Goan musician. They met, fell in love and later got married.
- The story of Basilico began when Susanna started to cook Italian meals for long stay Italians living in the neighbourhood for the season. As everybody was fond of her dishes, the business grew as a result and in 1997 the couple opened Basilico together. The restaurant was originally set up in the garden of their home, and remained so for 8 years whilst they were living there. They have since moved house but the business has retained its location. When it opened, the restaurant was Anjuna’s first in authentic Italian cuisine and has over the years received large acclaim, including from many Italians who appreciate the traditional food and the authentic Italian flavours.
- Photos source: M. Helene A. D'Souza